Image Map

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Strawberry Almond Tart



I went strawberry picking twice this year.  It was hard not too really.  I left the first picking with at least 4 litres of strawberries and they tasted soooo good. I knew they would not be enough.  I froze over half of the first batch, ate some and then used some for a cake.  I went picking with a friend and we just sat the babies on the side of the patch and they just watched us, played and tried to eat the hay on the side of the patch.  The first picking was also the first time my little one has strawberry.  It was pretty cute.  She just numbed it down with her gums.  The second time I went with my SIL and niece and nephew.  This batch which was another 4 litres was brought to the cottage, eaten by 8 of us in a fruit salad and then made into this delicious tart.


Love local fruit. I am hoping to go raspberry and green bean picking this week. No baking will be done with the green beans, except for maybe a quiche.

I also mentioned I did a cake,  I did my first topsy turvy cake and it was so much fun.   I was pretty happy with how this turned out.  It was bright, funky and fun.   It also turned out to be quite the hit of the bridal shower so my friend told me.   Something I always love to hear from my customers.  This was a gluten free vanilla cake with strawberries and cream icing.   YUM!






Strawberry Almond Tart

INGREDIENTS:

Topping
  • 3 1/2-4 cups of frozen or fresh strawberries, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/4 cup ground almonds
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Base

  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup ground almonds
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) In a medium sauce pan, take 2 3/4 cups of the strawberries and mash them.  Stir in sugar and lemon juice, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.  Continue to boil for 10-15 minutes until mixtures gets thicker.  
At 7 minutes at the remaining chopped strawberries and flour.  Stir in and continue to boil.   Let cool so mixture continues to thicken. 
2) Preheat oven to 350F.  Spray a 9 inch springform or silicone pan with non stick spray.  
3) Make the base: In a large bowl or mixer bowl beat together butter, icing sugar and salt until smooth.  Stir in ground almonds and cinnamon, beating on low.  Add flour in two additions, mixing until combined on low to a crumbly texture. 
4) Set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture.  Add the remaining mixture to the pan and press together firmly.  Bake for 15 minutes, crust will be just golden.  Let cool on rack when done. 
5) Spread the cooled strawberry mixture over the crust.  Add the 1/4 cup of ground almonds to the reserved base mixture and mix in to make a crumbly topping.    Sprinkle over the strawberry mixture , then top with the sliced almonds. 
6) Bake for 25-30 minutes,  topping with be golden and strawberry filling will be firm.








3 comments:

  1. I've been strawberry picking! You're so lucky!! I love the tart and that cake! GOOD WORK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fresh berries - but I definitely buy the flats someone else has already picked :) Although my 5-year-old reaalllly wanted to pick this year...maybe next year! Love the tart and fun cake!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...