Image Map

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Funfetti Butterscotch Nanaimo Bars




Okay so I am a little behind again.  No good excuse other than busy with life.  A couple days of pampering myself with a manicure/pedicure and a well needed massage, enjoying the beautiful weather and spending time with family and friends have all played a factor.  Now that summer is in full swing life gets pretty busy.  This weekend we had back to back events both Saturday and Sunday.  With the black flies all dead and good weather here to stay the Cottage will be taking up several weekends in the near future.

The little one is also getting mobile as we entertain the backwards crawl/slide right now.   Time to get the baby gates up and be on guard.   She is 7 months now and in such a great phase. Responsive and fun.  Peek a boo is just hilarious,  I think almost more for me as I cry with laughter from her reaction and laugh.  We have no teeth yet so I am enjoying that before the pain comes in.  I imagine any day now but I think we have been saying that for months.

With lots of gatherings come lots of great snacks. These Nanaimo Bars are a Canadian classic and I love them.   When you love something it is always fun to spin them as much as possible to create fun variations. These turned out to be a great twist.

Funfetti Butterscotch Nanaimo Bars

INGREDIENTS:

Base

  • 1 1/3 cup graham crackers
  • 2/3 cup coconut (half sweetened/half unsweetened)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 egg
Filling
  • 2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp butterscotch pudding powder
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp 10% cream
  • 1/2 cup sprinkles
Topping
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Preheat the oven to 350F.
2) Make the base : Combine graham crackers, coconut, cocoa, sugar and walnuts in a large bowl.
Add butter and egg and mix all together.  Press into a 10 inch square pan.   Bake for 10-12 minutes.
3) Make the middle : In a large bowl or mixer bowl beat butter until smooth.  Add butterscotch powder and vanilla extract.  Mix together.
4) Slowly beat in confectioners sugar until well combined and smooth.  Add cream, beat all together.  Mixture should be creamy and smooth but not too soft.  Stir in sprinkles.
5) Place in the fridge to set.
6) In a small sauce pot melt chocolate chips and butter together.  Spread over the icing mixture.  Let set.














6 comments:

  1. 7 months is just about my favorite age!!! Enjoy the crawling because it seems like in no time they are walking and then running!!! I have always wanted to try Nanaimo bars!! Thank you for giving me a reason!! Looks wonderful Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just watching a baby in the grocery store around 7-8 months old and thought I would love to do that age again with one of my kids (minus the diapers)! What a great time!
    These bars look almost too good to eat, but I bet I could still put away quite a few :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove Nanaimo bars, this is a great twist on a classic! Sounds like a lovely sort of busyness :) I would've loved to meet your little lady...next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the butterscotch twist and sprinkles makes everything better! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have GOT to try these Nanaimo Bars! I've never had one. They look great! Pinned of course! Thanks so much for sharing on Two Cup Tuesday at Pint Sized Baker. I hope to see you again on Monday night!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...