Image Map

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble







 A few facts about me.


1. One year ago I did not like hot drinks, mostly coffee and tea. The taste of both were just so unappealing to me.  Even hot chocolate was hit or miss.  I actually drank that with a spoon.

2. Present day I now drink green tea on a daily basis and actually enjoy it.  Coffee is still on the no way list.  Weird?  During my last trimester of pregnancy my naturopath gave me this special tea that was supposed to help with uterine health etc.   Since I am a good patient I did what she said and drank it every day.   This tea slowly broke me down.  It was not the best tasting tea so I think when I have other teas now they are quite good.    The funny thing is for the last week, I get my water hot, pop in the tea bag, put my cup on the table near the couch and forget.   I have done this five days in a row.   I am seriously losing my ability to remember.

3. My new favorite sound is laughing baby.  I just can't get enough of it.

4. I make an apple crumble almost every major holiday.  I love to try different versions every now and then and decided to for Easter.  Since cheddar and apple are common combination I thought I would try and throw some in the mix.


Maple Cheddar Apple Crumble

INGREDIENTS:

Apples

  • 3 medium apples, peeled and sliced
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded

Crisp

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl and mix together.
2) Place a sieve over the apples and add flour, sugar and cinnamon.  Sift over top, and then mix through.  Add cheese and mix again.
3) In another large bowl mix together, oats, flour, cinnamon and sugar.  Add butter and mix together to bring together and moisten the dry mixture.  Add maple syrup when butter combined and mix together.
4) Place apple mixture in a 8 inch round dish.  Top with crumble, mixing a little within the apples.
5) Bake for 40-45 minutes.

I love crumbles.  Crunchy tops and soft sweet fruit.  It's one of the best combos.






Looking for more apple crumble recipes.  Check out these
























15 comments:

  1. I adore crumbles, especially with such a great crumble to fruit ratio! I'm with you on the hot drinks - chai tea is the one slowly winning me over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too.

      I really only stick to fruit flavored teas. :-)

      Delete
  2. The title of this was VERY deceiving; looks more lie a muesli not a crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is good stuff. Meg you speak my language :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Thanks. Apple crumbles are one of my faves.

      Delete
  4. I have no memory anymore-I blame it on the kids! Yes, baby laughter is the BEST as are I Love You's from little mouths. I love apple crumble! I've always wanted to try apple and cheddar together! I bet it smells so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great it never comes back. hehe

      I am looking forward to the I Love you stage.

      Delete
  5. OMG this looks absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The memory goes with the birth of the first child. But at least you'll always have an irrefutable excuse. It's hard for a man to argue with a woman's whose defense is I GAVE BIRTH. :) Your apple crumble looks delicious and I love the addition of cheddar. Pinning on my Recipes to Try board!

    P.S. A good baby belly laugh is the absolute best! Congratulations on your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is seriously delish! Thanks for sharing on Show Me Your Plaid Monday's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw #3, best sound ever. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...