Image Map

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chocolate Guinness Donuts




I am back from Florida.  I have been back for a week now but baby and I both got sick the day after we got back. Ugh.  Sick babies and then sick mommy with sick baby are no fun.  Someone told me once you get sick you shouldn't kiss your baby.  Do you have any idea how hard that is?  Very.  I have been washing and disinfecting my hands every minute to prevent me giving it back to her.  If she had the sore throat I did she would be non stop crying.  It was so painful!  We are both almost back to normal, hopefully maybe just another day or two.

On another note,   Florida was fun.  Samantha was a great plane baby, sleeping practically the entire time both ways.  We did have a few fussy nights but she made it through several outings in the day with flying colours.  She even fell asleep on a beach walk in the snugli.  Love those ocean sounds.  The weather was a bit of a hit and miss, with a few cooler days but still much warmer than home.   We did get two nice walks on the beach and a few days at the pool.  Hopefully now that we are home the warm weather isn't too far away.  I do think I see the light in the 2 week forecast.

With St. Patricks Day just around the corner I decided to make one more festive treat to enjoy.

Chocolate Guinness Donuts
(Makes 10 donuts)

INGREDIENTS:

Doughnut
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup Guinness
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted

Glaze
  • 1 cup of Guinness Beer
  • 1/2 dark chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups icing sugar

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 325F. In a medium bowl combine flours, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
2) In a large bowl, add Guinness, egg, both sugars and butter.  Whisk together.
3) Gently whisk in the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
4) Spray a doughnut pan with non stick spray.  Fill the holes with the mixture.  Bake for 12 minutes.
5) Make the glaze.  Place the Guinness in a small sauce pan and bring to boil, reduce mixture to 1/3 cup.
6) Place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl.  Pour the reduced Guinness over the chocolate chips. Let sit for a few minutes.  Stir together to melt.
7) Whisk in the confectioners sugar in 2-3 sections. If the mixture doesn't seem thick enough , let it cool in the refrigerator.
8) Dip the top of the donuts in to the glaze and lay on a wire rack about a baking sheet to catch any drips.   If you mixture also is a bit thin, you can dip several times.   I dipped twice.












9 comments:

  1. I have to make these donuts this weekend! They look so yummy! Thanks for the recipe! Best from NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love how Guinness works so well with chocolate! Hope everyone is back to being healthy now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the flights went well, so sorry you got sick! BOO. But these donuts - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, moms should not be allowed to get sick. I've been sick more often in the last 4 months than the last 5 years combined, and it's meant a sick baby too often too - I'm not even sure who's making who sick at this point! Love the donuts - a donut pan still needs to be added to my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is unavoidable with kids. :-(

      I have had the donut pan in my cupboard for a while. Finally broke it in.

      Delete
  5. Hi Meg,
    We’ve recently launched the website RecipesUS.com. It’s a search engine that aims to gather all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://recipesus.com or send us an email on info@recipesus.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...