Image Map

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Almost No Bake Chocolate Malt Tart




So I have spent the last several months it would seem going through most of my cookbooks and making notes of recipes I like and want to play with.  A list that should last me for quite some time now.   During this process, which started because we got new cupboards I also decided to go through several of my magazines and tear out recipes and tips that I deemed were most important.  The rest of the magazine would get recycled in an effort to maximize cupboard space.   This way I could make room for more magazines and more cookbooks. :-)   This tear out process if you will left me with the following...

































After I had a huge stack of papers,  I then separated it into desserts and savory items, which were then separated into chicken/beef/pork etc and desserts were separated into breakfast, cookies, cakes, pies, etc.  I am happy to say that 90% of the papers are now in binders and all organized, just in time to have the family over for Easter.

Happy Easter Everyone!


Almost No Bake Chocolate Malt Tart

INGREDIENTS:

Pie Crust
  • 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/4 heaping cup cocoa
  • 1/4 cup malt powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, in cubes
  • 1 large egg, cold
  • 1 tbsp almond milk
Filling
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese (1 package)
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream 
  • 3 tbsp agave 
  • 3 tbsp malt powder
  • 1 cup crushed malt eggs
Ganache
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
  • 3 oz dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Combine flour, cocoa, malt powder, sugar and salt in a food processor.  Pulse a few times to combine.  Add the butter and pulse until a coarse crumb develops. 
2) In a small bowl beat together the egg and milk.  Add to the processor and pulse until dough starts to come together. 
3) Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and bring dough together. Form into a disk, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. 
4) Preheat the oven to 350F. Remove from the fridge, let sit for 15-20 minutes.  Roll out to a fit a 9 inch tart pan.  Prick the dough with a fork.   Bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool. 
5) In a large bowl or mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, cream, agave and malt powder on medium high for 3-5 minutes until thick and fluffy. Fold in the crushed malt eggs.  
6) Spread the mixture into the chocolate crust.  Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
7) Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Heat cream and butter in a small sauce pan until simmering and bubbling on the outside. Pour cream over chocolate, let sit for a few minutes.  Stir together, then spread over tart.  Top with a few malt balls and place back in the fridge to set. 

I love chocolate malt balls, especially pretty egg malt balls.  I always must find a reason to bake or well no bake with them.







5 comments:

  1. My husband LOVES those malt eggs, this looks great! I'm also totally impressed by your organizing spree...I need to apply that sorting system to all my ripped out magazine pages :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stacks just like that too. This is a gorgeous tart! I love those eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to organized my recipes, too! Ha, that's not likely to happen anytime soon, though. Sweetest looking 'tart' I've ever seen :) Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...