Image Map

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12 Days of Cookies - Day 3 - Gingerbread Biscotti - Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap


It is Food Blogger Cookie Swap post time!   I love this cookie swap.  This is the second year Lindsay and Julie have organized this and it is so cool.  I can't imagine the amount of work they put into this matching everyone up but I am so glad they do.   Last year I met some great bloggers through it and this year is the same.   It is a great way to find new bloggers with out having to do any hard work to find them they are literally brought to your doorstep through cookies.

I received the following cookies this year.

Chocolate Gingerbread from Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar.  These cookies were excellent and arrived at the perfect time, just a few days after Samantha was born and ready for all her visitors.

Oatmeal Cookies from Kim @ Strawberry Ginger.   These cute little cookies reminded me of Dad's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies.  Crunchy and nutty.  I ate three upon arrival.  Ooops.:-)

Chocolate Chunk Ginger Cookies from Lindsey @ A Running Tale.  They arrived right after my workout and I ate one right away.  Great with the chocolate chunks.

I went back and forth on which cookie recipe I wanted to send out as I was mostly thinking I wanted to send out a shortbread recipe.  While I was just looking for recipes for my other 12 days of cookies, I saw these gingerbread biscotti and after having the chocolate gingerbread from Warm Vanilla Sugar I felt I had to spread some more gingerbread love.

Gingerbread Biscotti
(adapted from Fine Cooking - Cookies)

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour (plus additional for shaping)
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 350F.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silpat. 
2) In your mixer bowl , add the first 7 ingredients.  Mix on low to combine. 
3) Mix in pecans/cranberries on low to just mic in. 
4) In a large measuring cup combine eggs and molasses, whisk together.  With the mixer on low slowly pour in the wet mixture.   Mix until the starts to come together in clumps.  There may be dry bits on the bottom.  
5) Pour the dough on to a lightly floured work surface and bring the dough together.   Divide into two equals parts.  Shape the dough into a log about 1 1/2-2 inches wide, 1/2 inch tall.  If the dough is sticky lightly flour your hands. 
6) Place the logs on to your prepared baking sheet, leave space for spreading.   Bake for 30-35 minutes, the top will be cracked.   Let cool on rack.  
7) Cut into slices and place cut side down onto the parchment for the second baking.   Bake to desired crispy level - probably about 10-20 minutes.  Let cool on a wire rack.



I found some cute little tins and packaged them off, not before stealing any extras.  I made some that were hard and some that were softer so that the receivers could try both. I tend to like them with a crunchy outside but softer inside.  I rather enjoyed these, makes me want to drink coffee to dip them in.

MEG's RATING : D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!





6 comments:

  1. I love gingerbread and I love biscotti. This recipe is pinned and will be baked soon. Thanks for the recipe. I bet your cookie swap recipients were thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only received two batches of cookies too. BOOOOO! Hopefully they will appear soon! This biscotti looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got the cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Biscottis are great ! Ive never tried gingerbread ones, but I think we will now !

    ratedkb.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! I'm so happy to have met you through last year's swap...I didn't do it this year because I was afraid I would totally forget or not bother with having a baby at the same time, I'm impressed you still participated :)

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...