Image Map

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Boston Cream Roll Cake


 Mat leave just started and I have been mad baking.   The last few days have included a cake and 3 different kinds of cookies.   Instead of nesting I am baking.   I figured it might be a good idea to get some cookies baked and frozen for some potential visitors over the next few weeks.   I only wish I could be more efficient and plans meals that way but our freezer is already jammed.   I am trying to convince the hubby to get a space freezer to put in the basement.   For some reason he is oddly resistant against a $200 small freezer.  Weird, I know.  He will cave soon enough, especially if his future dinner meals depend on it and I can ensure it is energy efficient.   For now I will stick with baking.   A bonus to living in Canadian winters when you reach the end of November the garage becomes another fridge and it becomes the perfect place for storing drinks and cookies.

The cake I made was for the Hubby's birthday, which was on Sunday.  We had a family dinner at his parents place so his mom asked me to whip up dessert.   He originally wanted something chocolate and peanut butter but since I got him his "mudpie mojo" ice cream from Cold Stone, I figured he was okay with a little variety.   I actually made something that I have been dying to make for a while now.  Sshh, don't tell.

Boston Cream Roll Cake

INGREDIENTS:

Cake:
  • 1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 large eggs, room temp, separated 
  • 2/3 cup sugar, separated equally.
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • confectioners sugar for towel sprinkling.

Cream 
  • 1/2 cup milk 
  • 1/4 cup 10% cream 
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour

Ganache
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 6 oz chopped dark chocolate

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Make the cake :  Preheat oven to 375F.    Grease and flour or spray with non stick spray a 15x10 pan.   Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
2) In a large bowl or mixer bowl,  beat egg yolks on high until thick,  approx 3-5 minutes.  Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating on med-high until sugar is well combined and dissolved.
3) In a separate large bowl with new or cleaned beaters, (I like to use my whisk attachment to my hand blender) add egg whites and beat until soft peaks form.   Gradually add sugar beating till stiff peaks form.
4) Gently fold yolk mixture into egg whites.  Add dry mixture and continue to gently fold until combined.   Spread mixture evenly into cake pan.
5) Bake for 12-15 minutes.   While baking place a clean dish towel on the counter,  sprinkling with confectioners sugar to prevent sticking.
6) Immediately remove cake from pan on to dish towel, roll up cake and towel starting from a short end.   Cool on a wire rack.

While cake is baking - Make the pastry cream.
7) Heat milk, cream and vanilla bean paste in a medium-small on medium-low heat until it just barely simmers.  Bubbles will start to appear on the sides of the saucepan.
8) While the milk mixture is heating in a small bowl add egg yolks and sugar.  Whisk together until well combined. Add cornstarch and flour and continue to whisk until smooth.
9) When milk/cream mixture is ready, slowly pour half into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to prevent the egg yolks from curdling.   I place a towel under the egg bowl to prevent it from moving around while pouring.
10) Pour the combined egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk, whisk together and cook over med to med-low heat until the mixture begins to thicken and boil.   Whisk constantly to prevent any clumping and scorching.  Boil for 30 seconds, remove from heat and pass through a sieve to remove any clumps.
11) Cover mixture directly with saran wrap to prevent any film from forming.   Let cool in the fridge about an hour, the mixture will be much firmer.
Optional Note : I had some extra dulche de leche in my fridge so I stirred in about 1/4 cup into the pastry cream.

12) When the pastry cream is set unroll the cake. Using an offset spatula spread the pastry cream on the cake leaving about a 1 inch gap around the edges.    Roll the cake back up and cover it with saran wrap until ganache is ready.
13) Make the ganache :  Heat heavy/whipping cream in a small saucepan until simmering.  Bubbles will appear on the side of the pan.
14) Place chopped chocolate into a medium heatproof bowl.  Pour the warm cream over the chocolate and let sit with out stirring for 5 minutes.
15) Stir together until completely combined.  Let sit 30 minutes or so until the mixture has thickened but is still pourable.    Pour over the cake as liberally as desired.

I love roll cakes!

MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!





4 comments:

  1. You definitely need to convince him on that freezer :) This cake is gorgeous, I love all that chocolate on there! Baking is way better than nesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG..My husband would die for this one..thanks
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...