Image Map

Monday, August 20, 2012

Upside Down Caramel Peach Cake


So I have been eating a lot of peaches these days.   I don't think I have gone the last three weeks without my daily mid morning snack of a peach, half a kiwi and some strawberries.   I am also very happy that I can actually still get local strawberries.  I love getting local fruits and veggies.   I do eat a lot of fruit.  Have I ever told you my husband doesn't eat fruit?  He will eat the rare apple or banana but that is very few and far between.    His mom always says he doesn't like fruit because she ate so much of it when she was pregnant.   This better not happen to my child.   I can't be out numbered on people who don't like fruit in this house.   I am pretty sure he is just an odd anomaly.

This weekend we spent a good chunk of Saturday cleaning, which is no fun but I did also baked this dessert.  I like my peaches firm so this gave me the opportunity to use up any that were becoming too soft.   Sunday we attended a large family BBQ for my Mother in laws family and I offered to bring a dessert.  This was quite the gathering.  She has 8 siblings.  Those siblings all have at least 3 or 4 kids and then many of those kids have 2-4 kids.   In short there was A LOT of people there and luckily I was not the only person bringing dessert.  We don't really see them that often,  so I go not really remember everyone's name or what kids belong to them.   My husband was joking with his cousins that we should play a match the kids to the parents game and line them all up and see who can sort it all out. He believes he could. I know I could not. His family is also a very tall family.  Both of my husbands parents are dutch and they are on average the tallest people in the world.   So I often feel quite short at these gatherings in my tiny 5'3 frame.  Lets hope baby picks up on that side of the family in terms of genetic body frame.

UPSIDE DOWN CARAMEL PEACH CAKE
(Adapted from Anna Olson - Bake to Baking)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 peaches
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/4 cup (2 oz) unsalted butter
  • 1 tbsp heavy cream

Cake
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Peel and slice the peaches.   Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form pan.   Line the bottom of the pan with the peaches.


2) In a small sauce pan, add water, then add sugar and butter.   Bring to a boil over medium heat and let sit with out touching until caramel begins to turn a light amber colour.   Remove from heat and pour over peaches.   They won't be completely covered.
3) Preheat the oven to 350F.   Make the cake :  In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder , salt and cinnamon.
4) In a large bowl or your mixer bowl, beat together butter and sugar until creamy and well combined.
5) Beat in egg yolks, vanilla and sour cream until combined.  Add in flour and mix on low until just incorporated.


6) In a medium bowl, add the egg whites and whisk by hand or with a whisk attachment to your hand mixer, until soft peaks form.    Fold half the eggs in the mixture until almost combined, then repeat with remaining egg whites until all blended together.   Pour mixture over the peaches.


7) Bake for about 45 minutes,  until a toothpick comes out clean.   Let cool in pan for 30 minutes.   Run a knife around the edge.  Place a plate over the pan and then flip upside down, tapping the bottom to release the cake. 

This cake was light and fluffy.  I halved the caramel from the original recipe since I also switched from apples to peaches.  I think it worked out well though it had the perfect level of sweetness. 


MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!











7 comments:

  1. This cake looks amazing! I can't get enough of peaches these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummiest cake ever!'I had two slices! I just hope baby gets the baking genes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummiest cake ever!'I had two slices! I just hope baby gets the baking genes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg this cake looks AAAMAZING!! Great Photos!
    I prefer local fruits and vegetables my self. They are by far tastier and healthier.
    Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun twist on the classic pineapple upside-down cake! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! Peaches and Caramel is even better than peaches and cream, and upside down peach cake looks way better than pineapple upside down cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh....te ha quedado perfecto lindo y sabroso,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...