Image Map

Monday, May 14, 2012

Lemon Blueberry Scones with Lemon Chips


Did everyone have a great weekend?  I sure did. The weather was beautiful and it was Mother's day.   I got in all my quality time with friends and family.   Sadly none of us won any money at bingo on Sunday.  It is quite frustrating being only one number off from almost winning but it was still good fun.  The productivity scale this weekend was quite low though as I spent no time in the gardens or grocery shopping and only put in some minor cleaning time.   Ah well , I will catch up on some of those this week.   Did you do anything special with your families?

I am definitely getting the urge to bake with more fruit now that the weather is changing.   I was at the bulk barn the other day and saw lemon chips.  I immediately bought these,  how fun would they be this summer?

Lemon Blueberry Scones with Lemon Chips
(Adapted from Anna Olson - Back to Baking)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 2/3 unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 oz cubed unsalted butter, cold
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp milk, cold  plus additional for brushing
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1/2 cup lemon chips

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 400F. Combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl.   Add in cubed butter and cut in with pastry cutter or hands. 


2) Add in blueberries, lemon zest and lemon chips and coat in the flour mixture. 


3)  Combine egg, milk and vanilla in a measuring cup.  Add this mixture to the flour and stir until dough just comes to together.    


4) Bring the dough on to a lightly floured work surface, just bring together while flattening and folding until the dough remains together.   Roll out to a circle about 1 inch thick and cut into triangles.  Place the scones on stonewear or a baking sheet lines with silpat/parchment.   Brush the top with milk.


5) Bake the scones for about 15-20 minutes until they have browned evenly on top.


These are best served warm and can be lightly re-heated if you like.   I don't bake a lot of breakfast items often but they sure are yummy.   Lemon Blueberry is such a fresh combination and I just love the bursting blueberries.  More lemon chip recipes to come....

MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!






5 comments:

  1. wow these look good...so amazingly good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of lemon chips, I can't wait to look for them the next time I go to Bulk Barn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Meg, I;m glad you had a lovely weekend and I;m sure you're going to have fun this long weekend too.
    I dont know what lemon chips are but these scones look delish!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of lemon chips before, but now I have to have them! Love everything lemon, where oh where did you find lemon chips?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are in Canada you can find them at the bulk barn, not sure where to find them in the US.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...