Image Map

Friday, April 27, 2012

Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread

I just spent two days of work this week in training for a new reporting system - SAP.   My company has been going through the transfer for almost two years now, doing different divisions and plants over this time.  It has finally reached my division, which they saved for last because it is the biggest.  It should be interesting as the go live date is this Sunday and come Monday we will battle through new reporting, training and leaning.   Many things in this new system will be quite different and it is going to take some getting used to for a lot of folks.  I happen to be one of the lucky people who is involved in coaching and training.   Should be fun since I have barely had time to play with it myself.  Doesn't finance sound so fun?  HA!    Are you surprised I love baking now?

Yesterday was a good day at work as I got to meet Christina Marsigliese - http://www.christinamarsigliese.com/, who wrote Scientifically Sweet.  I got to try some of her desserts and got her new cookbook signed.   I will probably bake something from it this weekend so I will tell you about that and her tips in a post very soon.  


I realize that St. Patrick's Day has come and gone and no body wants to eat Irish Soda Bread anymore.   After looking at pictures from around St. Patricks everyone's bread just looked so good.  I couldn't help but CRAVE it and I had to make my own.   I decided to try a gluten free version though to continue with my GF experimenting..


Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread
(Adapted from Gluten Free Baking from the CIA)


INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups flour blend
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp (1.5 oz) butter, cold in small pieces. 
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup dried raisins or cranberries
  • 1 tbsp caraway seeds
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Flour Blend  (makes 5 1/2 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups white rice flour ( I used brown)
  • 1 3/4 cups tapioca starch
  • 2 1/4 cups soy flour

INSTRUCTIONS: 
1) Preheat the oven to 350F. 
2) In a large bowl, sift together flour blend, baking powder and salt. 
3) Cut in cold butter. 


4) Add the sugar, cranberries and caraway seeds to the flour mixture and toss to combine. Make a well in the middle. 
5) In a large measuring cup combine buttermilk, egg and baking soda. 
6) Add the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. 


7) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.   Shape into a round loaf with out kneading. 
8) Place the dough into a small dutch oven (approx 8 in round), score the top with an X. 


9) Bake for 40 minutes or until top is nicely browned. 

I warmed up a sliced, put some honey cinnamon butter on it and I was happy.   I am always wearing of gluten free breads and their textures but this was quite good.   I would make it again. 

MEG's RATING : D-EEEE-LICIOUS!











4 comments:

  1. Going to try this, maybe for lunch. Instead of the crans I might add cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flour blend? I have 15 kinds of gf flour and I blend them differently for each recipe. You need to be more specific, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flour blend recipe is listed at the end of the ingredients list.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...