Image Map

Monday, April 18, 2011

Ode to the Mini egg or Eggie - Part 2


It is hard to go through an Easter season without seeing nest cookies with Mini Eggs/Eggies in them.   These cookies are classic and very cute.  Most people tend to make these using the haystack recipe using won ton noodles similar to my giant basket - Cake eggs in a Haystack basket.    I decided to make these little nests using a no bake oatmeal coconut cookies instead.   Just as easy to make,  easier to handle and shape and just as delicious.   The hard question is what chocolate egg to use.    Do I use Cadbury Mini Eggs or Hershey's Eggies?    In the past I have been a die hard Mini egg fan, no compromise possible.  After Christmas I went to buy my 50% off candy and only Eggies were available,  I was pleasantly surprised.    Eggies are quite good, they are a bit bigger than Mini eggs with the same great melt in your mouth milk chocolate and crunchy outer coating.  I now found myself to be milk chocolate candy coated egg neutral, a statement I never thought I would make.

What is your preference?  Are you a die hard to one or the other or can you be converted?

NO BAKE OATMEAL COCONUT COOKIES
- Thanks Mom for the recipe

INSTRUCTIONS:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk 
  • 5 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cup granulate sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 3 cups instant oatmeal
  • Bag of Mini eggs or Eggies


INGREDIENTS:
1) Combine butter, milk, cocoa powder, salt and sugar in a sauce pan. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved 
2) Remove from heat and add coconut, vanilla and oatmeal - leaving 1 cup of oatmeal out, incorporating and covering all coconut and oatmeal. Add the remaining oatmeal if mixture, any additional if the mixture seems to wet. 
3) Scoop a heaping tablespoon on to a sheet with silpat and form into a ball and press down with the back end of a tablespoon to create an indent where the mini eggs/eggies will sit.  
4) Place 3 or 4  in the dent while still wet so that the mini eggs/eggies stick to the cookie as it dries. 
5) Refrigerate or put in a cool place to set and dry.


So easy and full of chocolate and nutty goodness.  They are also made with oats which makes them  healthier than your traditional cookie. Right? (wink, wink).   These cookies are great to make with kids, no baking and fun to put together.  You can also rest easy when all they want to do is snack on the batter, or you can just let them enjoy eating all the mini eggs/eggies in the process.  This recipe is no doubt a 5 E rating.  Just for the record I used Eggies this time around. 

MEG's RATING: D-EEEEE-LICIOUS!   










5 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I love it! Thanks for sharing :)

    Codee
    www.readableeatables.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love your blog and following. I can't wait to make this on Easter, I love your creativity. Please check out my blog, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you at making,,,,say,,,,small little chocolate cakes for a certain someones birthday?

    ReplyDelete

LOVE your comments! Please let me know you stopped by. I always try to reply to the comment via e-mail, but I can only do that if you are not a "NO REPLY" commenter on Google. Check your Settings or reply via a different account.

Sorry I had to add on the word verification, spammers are out of control!

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...